October 6, 2009

"Man she saves me To this day I don't know why She picked me up When i was down on the road"

alright everyone. I need some help/suggestions.
For my English 2600 class (Critical Intro to Lit), we are doing presentations on our choice of either a short story, poem, essay, or short dramatic work. I asked my teacher if I could use a song because, let's be honest, songs are just lyrical/musical poetry. I am trying to choose something smart, moving and just good. The presentation is to discuss/teach my reaction and interpretation of my chosen piece. I was wondering if my fab readers (the 5 or so there are ;) ) could help me out by putting what SONG has stuck with you for years and why. Who knows, I might choose yours, or it might give me the inspiration for mine. I have a few choices (which yes, I will list and no, I will not defend) but I'm not sure if those are the right ones. Anyway, comment as you will.

John Lennon--
-"I Don't Want to be A Soldier"
-"Born in a Prison"
-"Woman is the N***** of the World"

Beatles--
-"Happiness is a Warm Gun"
-"Something"

Eminem--
-"Mockingbird"
-"Like Toy Soldiers"

Kanye West--
-"Jesus Walks"

5 comments:

DiaNe said...

Band-Thrice
Album-Vheissu
Song-For Miles

I have the CD at home; I think you should listen to it. The lyrics are really powerful and inspiring.

Becky said...

Drew and I both like this..

http://www.lyricsondemand.com/onehitwonders/yougetwhatyougivelyrics.html

Sophia said...

Cat Stevens- the wind

Steve said...

Abbey

I would use one of two Van Morrison songs. Real Real Gone http://www.lyricskeeper.com/van_morrison-lyrics/203768-real_real_gone-lyrics.htm

or Rave on John Donne.

http://www.lyricskeeper.com/van_morrison-lyrics/203710-rave_on_john_donne-lyrics.htm

both have specific allusions the first is about love and references other love song writers. It is like he is claiming a linage as a song writer.

The second references famous poets--all most all of whom would be considered either spiritual or at least mystic. It this one he is singing (and writing) about the power of poetry to transcend time and space. As a result it is immortal and timeless adding to one of the main thematic strand in Shakespeare's sonnets. As a result is not just writing a song but proclaiming himself as a poet who is part of a long tradition.

These are less well know that some of the popular culture songs you mention, but do exactly what you are looking for.

If you avoid those and want to do something that people recognize return the Simon and Garfunkel and do either the Boxer or Bridge Over Troubled Water.

I found a google video version of real real gone with a bunch of Colin Firth pictures. They don't ruin the song much.

jessandbryce said...

Ah i don't know there are soooooo many good songs! I will get back to you! ps. short notice but uh, what are you doin tomrrow night?