May 16, 2010

The Hollow


The Hollow

By Jessica Verday

The Hollow takes place in Sleepy Hollow and it plays a lot on the Legend of Sleepy Hollow by Washington Irving. The main character, Abbey (!) is quite fond of the Legend and is proud of her city because of the fame the Legend has brought. The story follows Abbey and her path to gain back her happiness due to a death close to her. Along the way, Abbey meets someone who might be able to help her get that happiness. Then throughout it all, she learns that the Legend of Sleepy Hollow might not be a legend after all, but fact.

This book I had high hopes for because it's main characters name is Abbey, and you can never go wrong with a story about a girl named Abbey right? Well the character's name was the highlight of the book. The Hollow is a 500+ page book and it got truly interesting around page 400. Not what is expected from a book so long. It was the kind of book that throughout it I kept asking myself "why am I still reading?? I'm bored!" Also not a good sign. However, I did keep reading because when it comes to books, I'm not one who can easily stop reading. I have a need to know how it ends. When this book finally ended (!!), it was then that I discovered it is part one of a series. A series I will not be reading.
Unfortunately, there is another flaw with this book. Even with the knowledge that it is a series, there were so many plot lines that I wasn't quite sure which to follow or if it had ended with a sort of non-ending. I know that if Verday truly wants to keep a series going, she can't end all plots, but as a reader of some great (and decent) series, I know that there is a better way to do it. Harry Potter for one. In each of the books there is a smaller issue that is at hand, but it is resolved at the end and the bigger issue continues with more information to continue on with.
Even the dreadful but somehow intoxicating Twilight series has a small issue that ends but continues to the bigger conflict. Hollow just ended.
Verday isn't necessarily a bad writer, but I will say that she is not the greatest story teller. I wish her luck, but I will not be reading the next book in the series.
Thumbs down and not recommended.

2 comments:

Lisa B. said...

A thoroughly well-justified pan. Nicely done. I always feel a little sad when a book doesn't quite get the job done, though--like, seriously? you went to all the trouble to write this, and they published it? and you couldn't do a better job than that? Makes you wonder, doesn't it.

Amelia said...

Well done, so while I do not think I will read this book, I will give you... two thumbs up for your new blog background. I like it!