
The Chosen One
By Carol Lynch Williams
This book follows 15-yr old Kyra during her last few months in her polygamist family and in the commune. Kyra has become aware of her reality and how it is not her only option, nor is it the option she wants. However, this is not a way of life that is easy to get out of when you are 15 (if ever). She has a secret pastime where she hides in a tree in the farthest part of the commune and reads books she is not allowed to read that she gets from a book-mobile. She does something else that is even more forbidden than reading books--she fell in love with a boy. A boy who she was not promised to. Kyra has to make a decision that will actually determine the rest of her life. This decision is not an easy one.
Chosen is a book that some could call a "coming of age" story, but I would call it a "life changing" story. It was so easy to get drawn into the story and to immediately feel for Kyra and her situation. There were moments of pure hate for some characters, immediate love for Kyra, moments where I couldn't help but feel physically sick and sad for Kyra. It was a good book that I absolutely enjoyed, however, it was such an easy read that I read it one day. Some see that as a good thing or an impressive feat, I see it as a little disappointing. When I read a book, it isn't so that I can read it in one sitting, it is so I can enjoy and become engaged into a story.
I recommend this book as a good read for an airplane ride or a road trip or something where you have a large chunk of time that you want to go by quickly. I truly did enjoy this book so I do recommend it, just don't expect it to be something that you need to invest a lot of time in.
Thumbs up.
4 comments:
interesting! I might check this out sometime when I have time. And now, posting to fb . . .
yay!!! long time no posts!
Sounds like a good read!
I love your reviews! cool idea. I should've had this one during my stay at the hospital.
Post a Comment