The whole story of this song is beautiful..."
I was going to wait until my actual birthday to do this post but, it has been on my mind for way too long to wait anymore. :)
I am going to be 25 this year. TWENTY-FIVE. What the hell? A quarter of a freakin' century. I don't know how I feel about that. What have I tangibly accomplished in my life? Not a damn thing. Sure, I graduated high school but no big right? Sure, I am currently heading in the direction of finishing college, but I'm 25 and a significant amount of my friends have already finished their bachelors and are starting or finishing (or have finished) their masters. I have had ONE (count it, ONE) relationship in my life and I was 14/15 and it was Jake and, let's face it, it was more of a train wreck than a relationship. Plus, I was 14/15. I have friends that have husbands and children!
Despite my bitching that you have ALL heard, those aren't the things I consider accomplishments in my life; or rather, unaccomplished things. Those are things I strive for (sometimes desperately), and want at some point.
Want to know what I feel I have accomplished in my life of 25 short years?
1) I have become the best and most dedicated and loving aunt to my nieces and nephews that they will ever need.
2) I have been fortunate to be BEST friends with some of the most amazing women I have ever known. They made me stronger, better and they never doubted me and what I could do
3) I have been able to live my life in a way that I found out what I want to do with my life through life experience rather than numerous classes
4) I have been considered a loyal and good friend. I have made mistakes, but those who have considered me this, know that I am just an idiot who sometimes just gets in my own way.
5) I have had more opportunities to see the country than most people my age and in my circumstance do in a lifetime
6) I am aware of myself and what is best for me, regardless of the views of others (as hard as it may be sometimes)
7) I know when and how to ask for help.
8) I have developed a love for service that will carry me far.
9) I have an intellectual mind as well as a compassionate one.
10) I have developed a geniune love and compassion for people around me
I know to a lot of people that really doesn't seem like much but to me, right now, that is enough. I will eventually achieve the tangible accomplishments that are heading my direction (college degree, Peace Corps, relationships, etc), but until then I know I have lived a good life. I have had experiences that have been very very hard, but I have had experiences that have made me so much better than I ever expected. There are so many people who have been a part of that. Just to be fun (but to be clear this is in NO WAY the only list), I put together a list of the people who have been my Best Friend's at the "5's" in my life:
5 yrs: Valarie
10 yrs: Megan, ShaNae, Ashley
15 yrs: Megan, Ally, Deysi, Jess
20 yrs: Sarah, Rachelle
25 yrs: Emallie, Taylor, Nicole
I am not thrilled about being 25, because of the non-tangibles but I am thrilled that I have the chance to try again....and again....
Just for the viewing..er..hearing?...pleasure, here is another song I have been LOVING lately.
4 comments:
I didn't make the best friend list! Still love you girl!
Diane you a best frousin
friend/cousin.
Totally different category. ;)
I love you Abbey and you are an awesome aunt. No doubt about it.
I think you have so much to be proud of--they say it's important to honor the road that got you where you are, so even the years you toiled away making sandwiches and doing preps are what got you to where you are now. Three cheers for you!
Am I a frousin too? Love you Abs. I think you've accomplished tons. And twenty five is young!!
Post a Comment