September 11, 2013

"I Will Remember You"

This song for this post seems the most relevant.

For the past maybe 10 anniversaries of the tragic attacks on the twin towers in New York, I have been have been thinking/pondering on something
       --is it really necessary to commemorate.           the event every year?
       --are those who still take specific notice           people who directly lost someone that           day?
I ponder these things because if it were me and it was a day I lost a loved one, I would not want a national reminder that I lost someone I loved.

Now, don't get me wrong, it was an awful day and I remember exactly where I was when that second plane hit and I will NEVER forget that moment--how I felt, what I thought, etc. It will always be with me. But I do not find it necessary to yearly express my sorrow because while it was a terrible day for our country, it was an exponentially worse day for hundreds of thousands of other people. I find it much more inconsiderate to "always remember, never forget" than it is to let the families who lost people to grieve in peace.

Again, do not get me wrong--terrible day it was on 9/11/01. But in reality the large majority of the country lost nothing except maybe a temporary loss of peace of mind.
Sure, always remember the tragedy, but maybe it's time to stop commemorating.

*To the families of military men and women who lost people from the resulting war--I'm sorry for your loss and I'm grateful for their protection.


1 comment:

Avielle Rose said...

Great post! I def. remember where I was when it happened. :(

Http://seekvintage.blogspot.com