So for the past couple of weeks I have been organizing a Sub4Santa for 6 families in need throughout the Boston area within my ward. What the project ended up being was this:
Each of the 6 FHE "families" were assigned a family in need of a Christmas. They were given the family's wish list and then within their groups they did what they could afford. I was told by the organization (see below) that the wish list was a GUIDELINE to give us all an idea of what the families wanted/needed. I then told the FHE group leaders (FHEGLs) that same thing. I don't know how many of you know this, but I tend to work myself into a worried, anxious frenzy for what usually ends up being for no reason. I did this while organizing this project (come one! There were only 100+ ppl involved in the ward!!). It was slightly stressful and intense, but I was able to keep my head afloat for the most part--thank you diane for dealing w/ me!!!--and I like I said, ended up worrying about the wards participation for nothing. They went above and beyond what I thought they would. I am so very proud of them for working together and giving all they did. These families will get almost ALL they asked for and more.
In honor of my parents who have taught me that it is in the service of others that brings out the best in the world (okay, they may have never said that but you get the idea), I did two things--went shopping at heavenly Target instead of "evil" Wal-Mart (mom) and gave each of the six families a set of Dominoes because there is nothing like family game night to bring a family together (obviously, dad).
and yes. Even though this project was NEVER about me, I feel very accomplished and proud. I want to be able to do stuff like this for the rest of my life.
All of the above stuff (which is actually a lot more stuff than it looks like) went to the below place--Heading Home in Cambridge, MA
Each of the 6 FHE "families" were assigned a family in need of a Christmas. They were given the family's wish list and then within their groups they did what they could afford. I was told by the organization (see below) that the wish list was a GUIDELINE to give us all an idea of what the families wanted/needed. I then told the FHE group leaders (FHEGLs) that same thing. I don't know how many of you know this, but I tend to work myself into a worried, anxious frenzy for what usually ends up being for no reason. I did this while organizing this project (come one! There were only 100+ ppl involved in the ward!!). It was slightly stressful and intense, but I was able to keep my head afloat for the most part--thank you diane for dealing w/ me!!!--and I like I said, ended up worrying about the wards participation for nothing. They went above and beyond what I thought they would. I am so very proud of them for working together and giving all they did. These families will get almost ALL they asked for and more.
In honor of my parents who have taught me that it is in the service of others that brings out the best in the world (okay, they may have never said that but you get the idea), I did two things--went shopping at heavenly Target instead of "evil" Wal-Mart (mom) and gave each of the six families a set of Dominoes because there is nothing like family game night to bring a family together (obviously, dad).
and yes. Even though this project was NEVER about me, I feel very accomplished and proud. I want to be able to do stuff like this for the rest of my life.
All of the above stuff (which is actually a lot more stuff than it looks like) went to the below place--Heading Home in Cambridge, MA
**Quotes used to encourage my ward to get involved (which I shamelessly used...)--"Being humble means recognizing that we are not on earth to see how important we can become, but to see how much difference we can make in the lives of others" — Gordon B Hinckley
--“Charity is the pure love of Christ, and it endureth forever.” Moro. 7:47.
--"Individual recognition is rarely an indication of the value of our service. We do not know the names, for example, of any of the 2,000 sons of Helaman. As individuals, they are unnamed. As a group, however, their name will always be remembered for honesty, courage, and the willingness to serve. They accomplished together what none of them could have accomplished alone."
--Dieter F. Uchtdorf, “Lift Where You Stand,” Ensign, Nov 2008, 53–56
Okay. I'm done. :D
*sorry for the length...you all know how I get...*
6 comments:
good for you, hun! You did a good thing and kept your sanity. Or lost it and hope to regain it now that your responsibilities are alleviated.
Well done, Abbey! I could not be prouder of you.
I am proud and impressed with your quotes. Go Abbey
I am dead serious when I said to put this on your resume! It shows your leadership and organizational skills. I'm glad the project exceeded your expectations. Love, Lesley
and I LOVE the picture of Connor and Drubaloo!
So awesome! You should feel very pleased with yourself!
Post a Comment