January 8, 2009

"Take a look at the coffee pot tomorrow before I clean it. That's New Haven."

Okay everybody. I need some SERIOUS help...
I am officially out of fun ideas to keep Connor (the 3--almost 4--year old that I watch, for those who don't know) entertained.
so here is what i've done (they still work but i'm getting bored of my own games/activities):
-cooking (cookies, play dough, brownies, other random things)
-forts/tents in the living room
-plaster hand prints (oh yeah. i did this...)
-hide and seek
-coloring computer print outs
-just coloring on paper

and i'm sure a few other random things but basically I am out of ideas. I honestly don't know what else to do. He is at that age where he loses his interest in something 2 minutes into it and I'm going nuts. I don't know what to do with the kid...and I don't really like asking for help because I do pride myself in being awesome w/ entertaining kids, but damn it everyday is HARD! so ANY idea/activity/game/craft/etc will be much appreciated!!!
**this is specifically aimed at mothers but ANYONE's ideas will be helpful!
THANKS!!!

okay. I'm done.
:D

5 comments:

Lisa B. said...

*painting with water on concrete (like in the garage?)
*painting in general
*get some laundry starch and tissue paper in brilliant colors; tear it into pieces, then let the kid "glue" the tissue in random patterns on a paper plate
*have him tell you a story while you write it down; he illustrates it
*get "Peter and the Wolf" by Tchaikovsky; get a picture book of same; help him act it out to the music
*button tree? like Amelia?

these are what comes to mind . . . good luck! winter is the hardest because you're inside.

Jessie said...

I was thinking painting, too. We do watercolors on big notebooks over here. Or maybe those books that have the paint on the paper--you just brush the water on and it fills in (do you know what I'm talking about?). Similarly, we also draw a lot. We have a couple sets of stencils, so Breanne picks out animals she wants me to draw, I trace them, and she colors them. Stencils are great for the artistically challenged.

Also, we've been playing lots of games over here. Breanne's almost 3, and loves Memory, Ants in the Pants, and Cooties--there are so many geared towards this age. Chutes and Ladders, Hi Ho Cherry-O, CandyLand... Or you could draw your own on pieces of posterboard, and find items to use as playing pieces--the options there are endless.

One last idea--Playdoh. We haven't really braved that one over here, but it seems like it could be lots of fun. Just keep it away from the carpet. :)

Good luck--I constantly find myself dealing with the same issue of how to entertain my children. Let me know if you come up with anything great. :)

DiaNe said...

kids like routine; expecting things. Who says you only do everything once? Make Mondays paint days, Tuesdays cooking days, etc.

I'm sure you've tried everything, so take my advice with a huge grain of salt!

Becky said...

Here's a blog that has toooons of arts and crafts. She posts a new one pretty much every day during the week.

http://www.notimeforflashcards.com/

Lots of fun ideas.

This is something my kids do a lot (obviously variations, not just snowmen, lol)

http://myfourcrazykids.blogspot.com/2008/12/snowmen.html

It's washable Crayola paint and then you can spread glitter glue all over it (can "paint" it) and then stick little sparkle type things all over it (you can see them in a picture w/ Hade and they are in a coffee filter.. my easy clean up tip, lol). Also the foam shapes w/ the sticker backs are fun.. You can get all of those at Walmart if you shop there.

I'll keep thinking for more..

jessandbryce said...

Read books!!! OF course haha.