November 17, 2011

"Looking Forward to Looking Back"

Because I really am looking forward to looking back. But in a good happy way.


On Wednesday I had the opportunity to do a little volunteering with my friend Emily Richard at the Volunteers of America for Greater Baton Rouge. At the beginning of the semester LSU had a club fair with all the clubs from LSU and affiliations that work with LSU and I immediately went and found out about all the volunteer/service opportunites. I signed up to find out more information about a bunch and the Volunteers of America was one of them. I have been on their email list and have been waiting for an opportunity to help out.
Truth is, there have been a lot of them. I have just made the classic excuses of "I'm too busy; I have homework; I don't have anyone to go with me". The were all just that--excuses. Then as the semester continued on, I found myself getting more and more stressed out and continuously more distant within myself. I was trying so desperately to find a place for my social self while still maintaining good grades that I forgot about myself and what actually makes me happy. I have seemed to find that in my life, I feel most at ease, most comfortable and most focused when at least some significant portion of my life is focused on service and volunteering. I feel the most happy when I am not just worried about myself. I forgot that. I let that part of me go and I felt a true difference. I won't let that happen again.
So like I said, my friend and I went and volunteered on Wednesday. We helped wrapped 33 presents for 33 children in need. We wrapped books. It was truly so much fun! I got to know a friend from class better and it was in general a good experience. I even enjoyed the too early Christmas music and decorations! :)

I have also let my active status slip in the Habitat for Humanity. I hate that. I think someone read my heart and mind because there is a build this Saturday in Lafayette. I immediately jumped at the opportunity. So excited!!

What I need to remember always is this: There is always time in person's life for service, it is just about perspective--and good planning. :)

2 comments:

Lisa B. said...

What an inspiring post!great to remember that doing good makes you feel good.

Amelia said...

love this,love you!