April 18, 2007

"This is the room that made Liberace say: 'Step back. No one's this gay.' "

Okay, so I just have to get this off my chest. My friend (affectionately known as Cali) just came out to her parents and they are not taking it well. I mean granted, that is not exactly the easiest thing for a parent to hear, well at least not Molly and Peter Mormon parents, but eventually the shock wears off and the acceptance starts. In Cali's case they aren't accepting, they want her to get therapy and talk to the bishop, and never ever come back to Utah (state university) because her "satan-esque" girlfriend is here. She is having a hard enough time with her parents who are putting their pending separation off to focus on her and her problem, but her best friend back home wrote her off in December and is just now willing to talk to her but tell her that she can't support her committing a sin. I just spent the last 2-3 hours talking with her and being a supportive friend and I also was asked to talk w/ the back home best friend and I politely and maturely discussed her views on the church and homosexuality. It was intense. I heard that ignorant people like her existed, but I didn't think it was true! she actually used the line "why should I care what society thinks when I only care about God?"!!! belief in God is one thing, but...well you had to be there to believe it.
I just want to finish with this:
I have gay friends whom I love and fully support, but those friends constantly deal with the hell that society puts them through. Society and religion feels it is a choice not who a person is. My opinion that in a world where people treat homosexuality as "disgusting", "a sin", "gross", etc why in the world would a person CHOOSE to put themselves through such a hell-ish and hard life?
On this topic (and to finish) from 8:00 AM-8:00 PM tomorrow (well today) is the day of silence at USU in support of G.L.B.T people where we don't talk all day. I will keep you posted on how that goes.

Okay, I'm done.

1 comment:

Lisa B. said...

You are a terrific friend. But you need to go to bed earlier.