April 29, 2008

"He's your first second boyfriend. Give it time."

Okay. basically. i've NEVER dated. not really. I actually just calculated it. I've been on 5 dates w/ 5 ppl and 3 were HS dances, one was a college institute dance, and the other was with a very old friend. I shouldn't be able to do that! Dating just never caught my eye...until now when i know NO ONE!! its kinda frustrating...
why is it so hard? i know.. i know.. its not easy and all that cliche but still. I've had one boyfriend-which was ultimately AWFUL (you all know who i'm talkin' about)-and i screwed up a potential other one-i panicked in the eye of commitment. I don't know what to do. I want to date and maybe even have a relationship or two but i don't know how to go about any of that...
Lots of therapy helped me figure out i'm afraid of commitment (and yes i do realize i'm 21 yrs old) so add that to the equation and we have a real conundrum folks.
ANY advice will be helpful....
(aka amelia...send friends my way...)

4 comments:

Lisa B. said...

I think--and I know this is all cliche--but it's all about finding out about yourself, your interests, living your life in such a way that you are happy as you are, and being engaged with lots of different people on a friendly basis. You're bound to run into people to connect with that way.

It's not a science, after all. It's your life. So you should just enjoy it as it is. Make those friends. Make lots of different friends. Find out about yourself and your interests and throw yourself into the stuff you love with passion. Embrace your life! Everything good comes from that.

Signed, your mom.

Sheonagh said...

I have long been a lurker on your blog (blame your sister). Makes a good read so it does.

It also nice to be reminded of being 21 again (and since I'm now thirty something I would not put in writing that's increasingly a stretch for my imagination).

I aint gonna offer you any advice, you don't need it hun. It will all be OK (say it out loud). (Failing that at times of distress I used to find loud music and dancing on the coffee table strangely cathartic - less of an option now....)

Amelia said...

Be yourself. Have fun. Don't worry about it! Advice I would have given myself at your age. Enjoy your adventure!!!

Amelia said...

Raymond wanted to know why you didn't include Danny while you visited us? Did you want to forget that one? Oh lets not mention how you ditched poor Allan who we had originally set you up with?